Tip for: 10.26.15
Did you know the Bulletin Boards support video? If you want to assign your students video projects, such as book trailers, you can show those completed videos right in Bulletin Boards.
Whether using iMovie (which comes free with Macs) or Windows Movie Maker (which you can download for free for Windows), or any other video editor, your students can create these projects, export the videos, upload them to YouTube or put them on your school’s server, and show them in Bulletin Boards.
To create a Bulletin Board for Book Trailers:
- From Tools, open Bulletins.
- Use the gear at the top to Add Bulletin Board.
- Fill in the Board Name e.g. Book Trailers.
To create a Bulletin that shows a video:
- Use the plus (+) icon at the bottom left to add a Bulletin.
- Fill in the Bulletin Name e.g. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.
- In Bulletin Text, fill in one of two types of code strings:
- Linking to the file as it exists on your school server, or
- Embedding a YouTube (or Vimeo or other hosted) video.
Sample video file link code:
<video width="275" height="240" controls> <source src="http://22.214.171.124/videos/booktrailers/bloodqueen.mp4" type="video/mp4"> Your browser does not support the video tag. </video>
Sample YouTube embed code:
<iframe width="270" height="152" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8UbsNfwkZwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here are some examples of book trailers and what creating something similar might require:
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Requires: 1 actor, 1 prop, some camera work, narration
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Requires: 3 actors, some setting, narration
- My Sister Jodie by Jacqueline Wilson
Requires: Multiple actors, multiple props, multiple settings, narration
- Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright by Chris Riddell
Requires: Sketches, sound effects
- Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Requires: Graphics, narration
- Storm Glass by Melissa V. Snyder
Requires: Graphics, multiple props, narration, 1-2 actors
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
Incarceron by Catherine FisherReckless by Cornelia FunkeRequires: Graphics
Don’t they just make you want to read the book?
Have your students created book trailers? We want to see! Send us the link at email@example.com.
Send notices by charge amount
Jan 20, 2021
Helpful reports—Have you given them a try?
Jan 13, 2021
Send hold notices by availability!
Jan 07, 2021
Top 5 Tips of 2020
Dec 21, 2020
Happy holidays!—Vote on tip topics
Dec 09, 2020
Prepping for winter break
Dec 01, 2020
Hands-free sign-in with Activity Express
Nov 25, 2020
From our librarians—Reusable book menu cards
Nov 18, 2020
Lost books? Remind your patrons about them!
Nov 11, 2020
What's due soon?—Relative dates
Nov 04, 2020
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?