Tip for: 12.07.15
Do you want to include online resources in your catalog? It’s easy!
Why would you catalog links?
After all, you could just create an Explore pane or Bulletin Board for recipes, an Explore pane (or Bulletin Board) for Free eBooks, an Explore pane (ditto) for National Geographic videos, and so on.
However, adding the link as an item in your catalog (with subjects!) means it will come up in Researcher search results.
Often you can link to the web page that then leads to text content or a PDF; other times you can directly link to or download a PDF. To ensure the ongoing integrity of your catalog links, you may want to download the PDFs and host them on your own server, and link to them from there. Note any updates to the original files will not be reflected in the PDFs you downloaded.
How to catalog links
First, before you add items, you need an appropriate policy so no one tries to place a hold on or check out a link.
- In Preferences, go to the Policies area.
- On the Item Policy side, Add a new policy.
- Name it something like Link or Web Page.
- Under the Check Out tab, set the Transaction Period drop-down menu to No Loan Period.
- Under the Other tab, uncheck the option to Allow Hold Requests.
- Under the Other tab, check the box to Show as ONLINE in Researcher.*
- Save the policy.
*This will put an ONLINE tag on the cover art in Researcher
To catalog a link:
- In Item Management, click the plus (+) icon, and hit to add the item manually.
- Fill in the Title and author.
- Change the Policy to ‘Web Page’ or an equivalent.
- Change the Medium to ‘electronic resource’ or an equivalent.
- Fill in the Call Number (e.g. LIN GB HOM) and any other applicable information.
- Go to the Other tab, and click Add at the bottom to add a Link.
- Fill in the Description and the URL.
- Save the item.
- Don't add copies! Since it's an online resource, there are no copy limits.
To add subject tags:
- In the item recordc go to the gear menu and Toggle MARC View.
- Locate your 6xx tags (e.g. 650, 651).
- Add new fields or new subfields (e.g. 650_z Greece).
- Save the record.
Now your patrons can find this resources when they search your catalog.
Helpful reports—Have you given them a try?
Jan 13, 2021
Send hold notices by availability!
Jan 07, 2021
Top 5 Tips of 2020
Dec 21, 2020
Happy holidays!—Vote on tip topics
Dec 09, 2020
Prepping for winter break
Dec 01, 2020
Hands-free sign-in with Activity Express
Nov 25, 2020
From our librarians—Reusable book menu cards
Nov 18, 2020
Lost books? Remind your patrons about them!
Nov 11, 2020
What's due soon?—Relative dates
Nov 04, 2020
'Tis the season for a holiday policy!
Oct 28, 2020
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?