How helpful was this page?
Related Blog Posts
When are my books due?—Send Patron Details to everyone
Mar 04, 2020
When two isn't better than one—Merging patron records
Feb 05, 2020
Cards expiring? Let your patrons know!
Jan 22, 2020
Help!—Training your patrons
Dec 04, 2019
What does it look like?—Patron Details Cover Art
Nov 11, 2019
"But what if...?"—Policy Exceptions
Oct 23, 2019
I've hit my record limit!—Patron Cleanup
Oct 02, 2019
Aug 07, 2019
Set the terms—Autofill and Authority Control
Mar 08, 2019
Just Text Me Please!
Nov 28, 2016
Adding patron records to Alexandria is easy! You can either add records manually (see steps below) or import hundreds of records at once.
Operators (Library Administrator, Librarian, Student Aide, etc.) are still considered patrons. Their records are created and managed in Patrons Management, and the Security Group field is what determines their program access. See Add Operator Record for more information.
Add Patron Record
- Log in to the Patrons Management module.
- Click the Add Patron button located near the bottom of the Records List pane.
- A new record will appear to the right. Each field will be blank except for a few preset defaults. These defaults can be changed in the Patron Defaults tab of Patron Preferences.
- Move between the Personal Info, Contact Info, and Notes tabs to enter information, configure options, and make changes to the patron record as needed.
- At the very least, Last Name, Barcode, and a Security Group are required to save your new patron. However, we suggest you also provide a unique Username, Password, and Email address during the creation of your patron.
- Next, if you intend to give your new patron any operator privileges (e.g. Librarian or Student Aide), select the correct Security Group from the drop-down menu. You will also need to use the Site Access selection to mark the sites that your patron is permitted to access. Otherwise, leave these selections alone.
- Click Save to add your new patron record or Revert to discard it.
While filling out a patron record, click <tab> to move to the next blank data entry field, or press <shift-tab> to move to the previous blank data entry field.
Usernames and Passwords
- Usernames must be unique. If the username you've selected is already in use, Alexandria will ask you to choose another.
- A patron's default password is their last name.
- Passwords are not case-sensitive.
- Patrons are saved to the database by username and barcode, so they can have duplicate first/last names and security groups.
- Alexandria automatically assigns a barcode number based on the value you've provided in the Next Barcode field of the Patron Defaults preferences.
- We suggest administering a user-defined Policy and Status. Assigning the correct patron policy is important when certain patron groups need to stand apart in statistical reporting.
- You can quickly import hundreds of patrons if you have their data in a tab-delimited format.