How helpful was this page?
Related Blog Posts
Update title records with exports & imports? Yes, you can!
Jan 19, 2022
Getting equipped: Cataloging items for your library
Jan 13, 2022
Saved field mapping—Easy peasy imports
Feb 10, 2021
As you like it—Import Headings
Nov 30, 2018
Importing MARC Records from a Vendor
Oct 19, 2018
New Copies? In Processing
Oct 06, 2014
Import Patron Pictures
Tools > Import > Images > Patron Pictures
During the import process, Alexandria will attempt to match pictures with patrons using the image filenames. For example, let's say you have a student named John Doe whose Alexandria barcode number is 1080 and you would like to import an image of him in “.JPG” format. His picture file must be named “1080.jpg” so that Alexandria can match it to his barcode. If all your patron image filenames have been given valid patron barcode numbers (e.g. “1080.jpg”), Alexandria can successfully import individual pictures into each patron record, accessible afterward through the Personal Info tab of the Patrons management window.
The Patron Pictures import will match the filename by patron barcode.
Existing patron pictures will be replaced with newer ones if found during import. If Alexandria is unable to match a filename with a patron during import, the picture will be ignored and noted as an exception in the Operation Information report.
You can import most standard image files (.png and .jpg) into Alexandria. Although they can be larger (or smaller), the default, optimal size for patron pictures is 240 pixels by 186 pixels at 72 ppi (pixels per inch) resolution. Larger images will be auto-sized and shrunk to fit within those pixel specifications if they're revealed to be too large upon import.
Since image filenames essentially specify who gets new pictures, there are no additional import options.
Step-by-Step: Import Patron Pictures
To import patron pictures from a directory shared network folder or portable memory storage device, following the steps below:
- Type the IP address (or server domain name), (optional) port number, and (optional) serial number (if you're Distributed Catalog) of your Data Station followed by “/import” into your browser's Address field (usually located in the upper-left corner of the window).
- The Import window will appear in your default browser.
- Select Images as the import type from the Categories pane.
- Click Choose File, located in the Imports Quick pane; this allows you to locate and select a 50 MB (or less) .ZIP file full of patron pictures to import using your operating system standard explorer window.
- Once the patron import file has been highlighted, click Open to prepare it for import.
- Next, select the Patron Pictures in the Settings tab. In order to work properly, the names of the image contained in the .ZIP file must match the patron's barcode number and be in .png or .jpg format.
- Since image filenames essentially specify who gets new pictures, there are no additional options required to import patron pictures.
- When you are ready to begin, click Run to send the patron picture import to the Operations Management queue. During import, in the Operations Management interface, a progress bar is shown; click Cancel to stop the import.
- During import, Alexandria will attempt to match incoming pictures with existing patrons using the image filenames. If Alexandria is unable to match a filename with a patron during import, the picture will be ignored.
- Every image imported or ignored will be documented in the Operation Information report in Operation Management.