The Operations Management window automatically orders/sorts all pending operations (i.e. reports, utilities, imports, or exports) and allows you to view summaries and open, email, or save operations that you (or others) have previously completed. Simply think of Operations Management as a nerve center that consolidates all operations that you, the current user, the system, and/or others (depending on your security permissions), have been performing; in essence, a specialized transaction log for past and future operations.
Once a report, utility, import, or export has been initiated, you can open Operations Management to track the progress of the current operation and allowing you to view (or save) previously completed operations. Completed operations shown in the “queue” include the name and status of the operation and are affixed with a time/date stamp. An operation that is currently running provides a Cancel option.
Each time Operations Management is opened, the Date Range drop-down filter defaults to Today; in other words, only the current user's newest (i.e. today) operations are initially visible in the Operations Management queue. Each operation is ordered chronologically from newest-to-oldest, so you can see if there are any operations scheduled ahead of yours. The Operation Type dropdown filer defaults to All Operations, which includes pending (or completed) automatic system operations like the Daily Operations system utility (which clears expired holds, reservations, and overdue items that were declared “lost”).
For reasons of accountability and transparency, Operations Management will retain all information for canceled and completed operations for a week at least; operations older than a week can be removed from the queue by choosing one of the Remove older than XX days selections from Operations Management's Actions menu. Your security privileges (i.e. Remove All) determine whether a particular user has the ability to remove canceled or completed operations from the queue. By default, all operations older than 90 days are automatically removed from Operations Management.
Operations Management can potentially display the name and status of the operation, the user who initiated the operation, and the time/date that the operation was completed or canceled. By default, it only provides a quick glimpse at the operations that you, the current operator, have performed or started. If you're logged in and have the proper security permissions, you can expand the scope to include operations from other users as well.
The status of an operation can be one of four things:
- Running. This status shows the operation currently being performed; it provides the progress of the operation, the date/time that the operation began, and a Cancel button.
- Waiting. This status indicates that an operation is pending but has not yet been started. This can happen when the server is busy with other activities. Users with the proper security privileges are able to cancel waiting operations other than their own.
- Canceled. This status indicates that an operation was canceled during (or before) completion and includes a time/date stamp and the user who canceled it.
- Complete. The operation was completed and results are available; operators can open it, download the results, or send the results via email to whatever address they want—different from those specified in the Notification tab(s) of the Reports window.
A combination of four different icons can appear to the right of each completed operation: an Email Operation icon, an Operation Information icon, a Download PDF Report icon, and a Download Text File icon.
- Operation Information. Click this icon to view a summary file with additional information. Depending on the operation, this may include the site, the app (Alexandria Librarian or Alexandria Textbook Tracker), the the user who ran it, whether it was a Quick or Saved report/utility, whether or not it was scheduled, which selections and options were chosen, and how many records were included or affected.
- Download Text File. If the operation is an Item or Patron Export, click this icon to download a text file. The file can be viewed in a text editor, such as Notepad or TextEdit.
- Download PDF Report. Click this icon to download your saved report as a PDF.
- Email Operation. This opens the Send Email window, where you can email a link to download and view the operation file. This option is only available if your Email Settings are properly configured.
Every day, our software runs certain chores that clean up the system by removing expired holds, in-stock holds, and reservations, etc. At the end of each Daily Operations cycle, Alexandria will archive the operation(s) to the transaction log and deliver the results to Operations Management.
Daily Operations and other system activities can be viewed by all operators, but only some users have the security privileges (i.e. Manage All) to remove them.
The controls at the top of the interface allow you to filter your results.
By default, all operations older than 90 days are automatically removed from Operations Management.
- Remove Selected Operations. Removes multiple operations at once. To select multiple operations, hold the <shift> key down while clicking on the operations you want to remove.
- Remove older than 7 days
- Remove older than 14 days
- Remove older than 30 days
- Remove older than 60 days
- Repeat. This takes the selected operation (i.e. report or utility) with the original parameters, places it in the queue, and schedules it to run again as soon as possible.
These actions are only available if your Operations Management security preference is set to Manage All. This preference is found on the Preferences > Security > Tools tab.
Date Range Filters
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- 30-60 Days Ago
- 60-90 Days Ago
Operation Type Filters
- All Types
- System Reports
- Show My Operations
- Show All Operations