The Operations Management window automatically orders/sorts all pending operations (i.e. reports, utilities, imports, or exports) and allows you to view summaries and open, email, or save operations that you (or others) have previously completed. Simply think of Operations Management as a nerve center that consolidates all operations that you, the current user, the system, and/or others (depending on your security permissions), have been performing; in essence, a specialized transaction log for past and future operations.
Once a report, utility, import, or export has been initiated, you can open Operations Management to track the progress of the current operation and allowing you to view (or save) previously completed operations. Completed operations shown in the “queue” include the name and status of the operation and are affixed with a time/date stamp. An operation that is currently running provides a Cancel option.
Each time Operations Management is opened, the Date Range drop-down filter defaults to Today; in other words, only the current user's newest (i.e. today) operations are initially visible in the Operations Management queue. Each operation is ordered chronologically from newest-to-oldest, so you can see if there are any operations scheduled ahead of yours. The Operation Type dropdown filer defaults to All Operations, which includes pending (or completed) automatic system operations like the Daily Operations system utility (which clears expired holds, reservations, and overdue items that were declared “lost”).
For reasons of accountability and transparency, Operations Management will retain all information for canceled and completed operations for a week at least; operations older than a week can be removed from the queue by choosing one of the Remove older than XX days selections from Operations Management's Actions menu. Your security privileges (i.e. Remove All) determine whether a particular user has the ability to remove canceled or completed operations from the queue. By default, all operations older than 90 days are automatically removed from Operations Management.
Operations Management can potentially display the name and status of the operation, the user who initiated the operation, and the time/date that the operation was completed or canceled. By default, it only provides a quick glimpse at the operations that you, the current operator, have performed or queued. If you're logged in and have the proper security permissions, you can expand the scope of to include operations from other users as well.
The status of an operation can be one of four things:
- Running. This status shows the operation currently being performed; it provides the progress of the operation, the date/time that the operation began, and a Cancel button.
- Queued. This status indicates than an operation is pending, but has not yet been started. The Position: XX text following this status indicates what place your operation has in the queuing system. Users with the proper security privileges are able to Cancel queued operations other than their own.
- Canceled. This status indicates that an operation was canceled during (or before) completion and includes a time/date stamp and the user who canceled it.
- Complete. The operation was completed and results are available; operators can open it, download the results, or send the results via email to whatever address they want—different from those specified in the Notification tab(s) of the Reports window.
One of four different icons can appear to the right of each completed operation in the queue; an open Send Email window icon, an operation information icon, an open report icon, and a download file icon.
- By themselves, completed operations display very little information in the queue; they have a completion date, operation name, and the operator who created it. Click this icon to view additional information for each operation—such as new or modified records, associated error messages and notes, and library codes necessary for Centralized Catalog. If an error occurs during an operation, an alert icon will appear in the summary to let you know that you should pay special attention to the results; alerts and exceptions contained within your PDF are printed in red. Information.
- Text File. If the operation is an Item or Patron Export, click this icon to download a text file. The file can be viewed in a text editor, such as Notepad or TextEdit.
- Email. This opens the Send Email window, where you can email a link to download and view the operation file.
- PDF. Click this icon to download your saved report as a PDF.
Operations Management has integrated email capabilities. Send Email allows you to send a link to download the completed operation file to the email address(es) you specify. This option is only available if your Email Settings are properly configured.
Every day, our software runs certain chores that clean up the system by removing expired holds, in-stock holds, and reservations, etc. At the end of each Daily Operations cycle, Alexandria will archive the operation(s) to the transaction log and deliver the results to Operations Management.
Daily Operations and other system activities can be viewed by all operators, but only some users have the security privileges (i.e. Manage All) to remove them.
The controls at the top of the interface allow you to filter your results.
These actions are only available if your Operations Management security preference is set to Manage All. This preference is found in Tools > Preferences > Security > Tools tab.
By default, all operations older than 90 days are automatically removed from Operations Management.
- Remove older than 7 days
- Remove older than 14 days
- Remove older than 30 days
- Remove older than 60 days
- Repeat. This takes the selected operation (i.e. report or utility) with the original parameters, places it in the queue, and schedules it to run again as soon as possible.
Date Range Filters
Depending on your security settings, this drop-down menu can contain two sections; everything above the line is visible for the current user (i.e. an operator's operations) and everything below the line is every user's operations.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Last 60 Days
All. Shows all the operations that have been performed or queued in Operations Management during the last 90 days.
Operation Type Filters
Depending on your security settings, this dropdown menu may contain two sections; everything above the line is visible for the current user (i.e. the operator's operations), and everything below the line is used to view operations initiated by all users. Select an option to view all of the operations performed or queued by the current user:
- All Types
- System Reports
The following Operation Type filters only appear if you have View All selected from the in the Operations Management dropdown menu in Tools > Preferences > Security > Reporting. Select an option to view all of the operations performed or queued by the all users:
- All Operations
- All Exports
- All Imports
- All Reports
- All Utilities