How helpful was this page?
Related Blog Posts
Make a calendar just for the senior class!
Aug 02, 2022
When does an overdue item become lost?
Mar 15, 2022
Setting rules–Patron Policy Preferences
Mar 08, 2022
Seeing double (barcodes) on patrons and items?
Feb 23, 2022
Automatic email notices... What are you waiting for?
Nov 17, 2021
Winter (break) is coming! Are your period due dates set?
Oct 20, 2021
Unused Barcodes: Reporting for Duty
Sep 15, 2021
Jul 07, 2021
Top 5 Tips of 2020
Dec 21, 2020
'Tis the season for a holiday policy!
Oct 28, 2020
Grade Table Preferences
Tools > Preferences > Patrons > Grade Table tab
Individually enter each grade level relevant to your union in the order they should be sorted and incremented. This is a simple list; the first entry in the Grade Table will be your first grade level, the second will be the next grade level, etc. The Grade and Description entries in the table are fully customizable, allowing you to use whatever terminology you desire. Grades must be advanced manually at the end of each school year by using the Advance All Grades button or the Advance Patron Level utility. Using one of these utilities, you can advance your patrons to the next grade level until they reach the Last Grade level (e.g. Graduated); patrons will never advance past the Last Grade level.
This user-defined field defines your patron's highest (and final) level of advancement. This level will be assigned to patrons who go beyond the levels defined in the Grade Table. Patrons will not be advanced out of this level when grades are advanced. Default is Graduated and the field must contain a value—it cannot be left blank.
Last Date of Grade Advancement
This non-editable field shows when the latest Advance All Grades operation was performed; the date is updated after the utility has completed.
Advance All Grades
Each time this is clicked, you essentially add one grade level to each of your patrons until they reach the Last Grade level (described above). To elucidate, each patron in your database that has been applied a level that you defined in your Grade Table will have their level transitioned to the next grade in the table. For example, a patron with the grade level of 6 will advance to 7. COMPanion recommends that you perform an Archive before using the Advance All Grades button. Patrons whose grade/level is either not found or not defined in the Grade Table will not have their grade level advanced.
For the Advance All Grades utility to work, grades in the Grade Table need to exactly match the Grade field entry in Patron Management records. Sometimes the grades defined in the patron record are mistakenly padded with “0”s which causes the Advance Grade utility to fail.
Another example of an error-causing incongruence would be a patron with “5th” in the Grade field of their patron record when “5” is the standard defined in the Grade Table preferences.
Add a New Grade Level
- Click Add to add a new level to the grade table. In the dialog, enter the following information:
- Sort. Enter the sort order for the grade.
- The sort value you provide changes where the grade appears in the Grade Table and how grades are advanced.
- For example, if the earliest grade level you support is kindergarten, then “1” should be your Kindergarten Sort value. If, at a future date, you incorporate a new preschool level and that becomes your new “1”, then your Kindergarten Sort value will be automatically bumped to “2”.
- Grade. Enter a simple grade name.
- This title will be added to the Grade drop-down menu in Patrons Management, Patron Details, Patron Reports, etc.
- Description. This is a more common or explanatory version of the grade name.
- For example, your description for grade “7” could be “7th Grade”.
- Sort. Enter the sort order for the grade.
- Click Add to close the dialog.
- Finally, click Save to keep your new grade level or Revert to discard it.
Remove a Grade Level
- Select the grade and click Remove.
- When you are finished, click Save to keep your changes or Revert to discard them.
Edit a Grade Level
- Select the grade you would like to modify and click Edit.
- In the dialog, edit information in the Sort, Grade, and Description fields. If you modify the Sort order, the grades in the table will be adjusted automatically.
- When you're finished making changes, click Save to close the dialog.
- Finally, click Save to keep your changes or Revert to discard them.