How helpful was this page?
Related Blog Posts
Top 5 Tips of 2020
Dec 21, 2020
'Tis the season for a holiday policy!
Oct 28, 2020
Clean up—Managing Z39.50 servers
Sep 23, 2020
Customize your notices!
Sep 02, 2020
Reopening libraries—things to do
Jul 29, 2020
Reporting and policies—How are they related?
Jul 10, 2020
New Capstone titles?—Hooray!
Apr 29, 2020
End-of-year prep—Disable emails
Apr 01, 2020
End-of-year prep—Due dates
Mar 19, 2020
Aug 14, 2019
Grade Table Preferences
Tools > Preferences > Patrons > Grade Table tab
Individually enter each grade level relevant to your union in the order they should be sorted and incremented. This is a simple list; the first entry in the Grade Table will be your first grade level, the second will be the next grade level, etc. The Grade and Description entries in the table are fully customizable, allowing you to use whatever terminology you desire. Grades must be advanced manually at the end of each school year by using the Advance All Grades button or the Advance Patron Level utility. Using one of these utilities, you can advance your patrons to the next grade level until they reach the Last Grade level (e.g. Graduated); patrons will never advance past the Last Grade level.
This user-defined field defines your patron's highest (and final) level of advancement. This level will be assigned to patrons who go beyond the levels defined in the Grade Table. Patrons will not be advanced out of this level when grades are advanced. Default is Graduated and the field must contain a value—it cannot be left blank.
Advance Grade After
This value is used to compute the projected graduation date when importing StudentPersonal objects using SIF. Never rearrange the grade table if you are importing with SIF. Changing the Advance Grade After (usually graduation date) does not advance a Grade; changing a Grade does not change the graduation date.
Last Date of Grade Advancement
This non-editable field shows when the latest Advance All Grades operation was performed; the date is updated after the utility has completed.
Advance All Grades
Each time this is clicked, you essentially add one grade level to each of your patrons until they reach the Last Grade level (described above). To elucidate, each patron in your database that has been applied a level that you defined in your Grade Table will have their level transitioned to the next grade in the table. For example, a patron with the grade level of 6 will advance to 7. COMPanion recommends that you perform an Archive before using the Advance All Grades button. Patrons whose grade/level is either not found or not defined in the Grade Table will not have their grade level advanced.
For the Advance All Grades utility to work, grades in the Grade Table need to exactly match the Grade field entry in Patron Management records. Sometimes the grades defined in the patron record are mistakenly padded with “0”s which causes the Advance Grade utility to fail.
Another example of an error-causing incongruence would be a patron with “5th” in the Grade field of their patron record when “5” is the standard defined in the Grade Table preferences.
Add a New Grade Level
- Click Add to add a new level to the grade table. In the dialog, enter the following information:
- Sort. Enter the sort order for the grade.
- The sort value you provide changes where the grade appears in the Grade Table and how grades are advanced.
- For example, if the earliest grade level you support is kindergarten, then “1” should be your Kindergarten Sort value. If, at a future date, you incorporate a new preschool level and that becomes your new “1”, then your Kindergarten Sort value will be automatically bumped to “2”.
- Grade. Enter a simple grade name.
- This title will be added to the Grade drop-down menu in Patrons Management, Patron Details, Patron Reports, etc.
- Description. This is a more common or explanatory version of the grade name.
- For example, your description for grade “7” could be “7th Grade”.
- Sort. Enter the sort order for the grade.
- Click Add to close the dialog.
- Finally, click Save to keep your new grade level or Revert to discard it.
Remove a Grade Level
- Select the grade and click Remove.
- When you are finished, click Save to keep your changes or Revert to discard them.
Edit a Grade Level
- Select the grade you would like to modify and click Edit.
- In the dialog, edit information in the Sort, Grade, and Description fields. If you modify the Sort order, the grades in the table will be adjusted automatically.
- When you're finished making changes, click Save to close the dialog.
- Finally, click Save to keep your changes or Revert to discard them.