September 3rd, 2019
Have you recently added new titles to your catalog? Now it's time to get your patrons just as excited about that illustrated Harry Potter set as you are! Here are a few ways you can use Alexandria to let your patrons know what's now available.
Create a slideshow to show off new items! First, you'll need to create a list in Researcher:
- Log in to the Search interface.
- Use the ((accession::# %today -180)) Search String to find recently added titles. Change the days from 180 to, say, 30 for a more recent selection.
- Click on the list icon to Add All to List > Create New List. at the top of the results
- Name the list (e.g. "New Items") and make it Public.
- Click on My Lists to the right of the search bar, select your new list, and use the share icon at the top to generate a Search String.
- Copy the string and move on to the steps below.
Next, make your Slideshow:
- In Preferences > Researcher > Slideshow, paste the search string in the Search field.
- Set the Layout, Transition, Speed, and Style, then Save.
- You can then display the slideshow on a TV monitor, computer, or tablet.
If you have a main Slideshow set and don't want to replace it, you can create a separate slideshow via URL and link to it from any Explore button. See Custom Slideshow URLs.
Need to use some books for a display? Check out those books to the Library Use patron (barcode 3) so you can still keep track of them:
- In Circulation, enter barcode 3 in the Command Line.
- Scan the books you want on the display.
Special patrons don't have due dates or other limitations. If a patron wants to check out a book from a display, bookdrop the item then check out as normal.
If you want display items to show up as available to your patrons, use the Copy Location or Copy Shelving fields in your copy records to mark where the book is being displayed.
What other ways do you use Alexandria to promote your awesome catalog? Leave a comment to let us know!
Send notices by charge amount
yesterday at 9:30 AM
Helpful reports—Have you given them a try?
Jan 13, 2021
Send hold notices by availability!
Jan 07, 2021
Top 5 Tips of 2020
Dec 21, 2020
Happy holidays!—Vote on tip topics
Dec 09, 2020
Prepping for winter break
Dec 01, 2020
Hands-free sign-in with Activity Express
Nov 25, 2020
From our librarians—Reusable book menu cards
Nov 18, 2020
Lost books? Remind your patrons about them!
Nov 11, 2020
What's due soon?—Relative dates
Nov 04, 2020
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?