September 16th, 2019
Miss Honey has a cart of books with her. She has selected the perfect number and variety for her Approved Book Report List. But... how does she make a searchable list in Researcher with those books on the cart?
Normally, your patrons are searching for a particular book because they don't have it in front of them. Librarians, however, are used to working with books they've already pulled. For this reason, you CAN search for a copy barcode or barcode range in Search by using a search string like ((copybarcode::10293--10294)). That's not exactly the fastest way to pull up books to add to a list, though. We want to make this easier for you in the future. But in the meantime, here's a handy workaround:
- In Circulation, enter Assign Keyword mode (V), for, say, Bibliographic term (B). Then enter some random string of characters for the term (e.g. V B ZXCXZ). That will assign the term ZXCXZ to any books you scan.
- Go ahead, scan your cart of books!
- Next, in Search, do a search for your random term (ZXCXZ).
- Only the books you want on your list will show up! Go to the list icon Add All to List. at the top of the results and choose
- Select an existing list or create a new one.
Voila! All the books Miss Honey wants are now on her list and she can go about her work!
But what about that random ZXCXZ bibliographic term now showing up for those books? ...You could just leave it.
Nah, I wouldn't leave it either.
- Open Authority Control and go to Titles > Bibliographic (if that's the keyword you assigned with the V command).
- Find your ZXCXZ entry, double-click, and delete the text.
- Confirm the modification, and a utility will be scheduled to clear out that term.
Although the term will be removed, those items will still show up for a search of ZXCXZ for a short time. Why? The term still exists in the search index, and will be cleared out during automatic Alexandria maintenance. So if you are doing multiple lists, use multiple terms, then clean them all up in Authority Control at the end.
Help us help you!—Page ratings
May 13, 2020
Help!—Researcher training for librarians
May 06, 2020
New Capstone titles?—Hooray!
Apr 29, 2020
End-of-year prep—Back up your data
Apr 22, 2020
End-of-year prep—Managing patrons
Apr 15, 2020
End-of-year prep—Item clean up
Apr 08, 2020
End-of-year prep—Disable emails
Apr 01, 2020
Mar 25, 2020
End-of-year prep—Due dates
Mar 19, 2020
When are my books due?—Send Patron Details to everyone
Mar 04, 2020
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?