January 24 2022
It is almost inventory season, and Miss Honey wants to unify all the call numbers in the library to the same format. She knows that she can use utilities to modify the call number prefix, but how can she update the entire call number, or other title record information in one go? Enter: exports and imports!
For our example, we will use call numbers, but you can use this same method to update other title record information.
Start with an Export
- Go to Tools > Export and pick your export. We generally recommend copy-based, since you can match on copy barcodes.
- Use the Selections to determine which records you want to modify.
- On the Options tab, change the format to tab-delimited.
- Next click Field Mapping to choose which fields to export. If you are only changing call numbers, use the red X at the bottom of Filed Mapping, and then select the Xs next to Copy Barcode and Copy Call Number to turn them into green checkmarks, and click Set.
- Finally, after the Selections and Options are set how you want, click Run.
Keeping the Alexandria headers means you won't have to do field mapping when you import.
Make your changes
- Next, go to Operations Management and download the .txt file.
- Open the file in a spreadsheet, like Excel or Google Sheets and make your changes.
- Save the file again, making sure to save it in tab-delimited format.
4. Before you run the import, go to Preferences > Items > Cataloging and uncheck Preserve Existing Call Numbers.
Time to import!
- Go to Tools > Import > Items.
- Drop or select your saved .txt file.
- In Settings, select Update Copies, and for Title Matching Update, select Copy Barcode.
- Review Options and adjust as needed.
- Click Run.
Additional Tips & Tricks
We recommend checking some of your copy records once the import has finished, to ensure everything imported as expected.
If you want your title call numbers to match your updated copy call numbers, go to Tools > Utilities > Titles > Change Title Call Numbers. Add your selections, or leave them alone if you are running it for all your records. For Options, select Match Title to Copy Call Number. Select Run.
Finally, go back to Preferences > Items > Cataloging and check Preserve Existing Call Numbers, to ensure that future imports won't change the call numbers you have in place.
As always, if you need help with exports, imports, or anything else in Alexandria, you can contact our stellar support team at email@example.com, or call 1-800-347-4942.
Level up your searching
Sep 21, 2022
Missing the MARC?
Sep 13, 2022
Let's browse–it's time to study Genre
Sep 07, 2022
We're on top of topnav!
Aug 31, 2022
Using Copy Location & Copy Shelving
Aug 24, 2022
¿Hablas español?- Filter search results by language
Aug 16, 2022
Say cheese! All about patron pictures
Aug 10, 2022
Make a calendar just for the senior class!
Aug 02, 2022
Back to school, already??
Jul 27, 2022
Keeping track of patrons: Account expiration dates
Jul 06, 2022
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?