February 28 2022
A student brings a book up to the counter to check out. When Miss Honey scans their student ID, an item comes up in Alexandria, instead of the patron. What? How did that happen? Well, if a patron and an item have the same barcode number, Alexandria defaults to the item. Has this ever happened to you?
While we recommend avoiding overlapping barcodes for patrons and items to prevent mistaken identity, the situation may still come up. Here's what to do if it does:
- You can re-barcode the item. This is what we recommend, whenever possible.
- Change the barcode in Items Management, and don't forget to print the new label.
- Want to set a reminder to do it later? Use the shortcut !! followed by a message to re-barcode the copy which will pop up as an alert when the copy is bookdropped. Example: !! re-barcode this copy
- For a quick fix, type a P before the patron barcode in circulation
- For example, P 31665. This ensures the system sees it as a patron barcode.
- You can also modify the patron barcode in Patron Management to include a P.
- If you have a binder of barcodes grouped by homeroom to easily scan patrons when their class is in the library, you can add a P to the binder barcodes, which will then prioritize patrons.
- Tools > Reports > Patrons > Labels > Patron Barcode Labels. On the Options tab, check Add 'P' to Barcode.
If you are printing off patron labels, instead of going one homeroom at a time, leave the selections alone, and under Options, choose to sort by Homeroom and check "Page Break on Major Sort" to print all the homerooms at once!
Did you know we have a whole page of FAQs? Check it out for quick answers to your everyday questions in Alexandria.
Tip compilation: end-of-year edition
May 17, 2023
May 10, 2023
End-of-year procedures & the message drawer
May 04, 2023
Cleaning up the grade table–Authority Control
Apr 26, 2023
Extra, extra! Watch all about it!
Apr 19, 2023
Items: a few things you may not know...
Apr 12, 2023
Four features in Patrons you might not be using
Apr 05, 2023
Weeding items: why keep discarded items?
Mar 29, 2023
Circulation: Items out tab
Mar 21, 2023
Circulation: homeroom tab
Mar 15, 2023
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?