How helpful was this page?
Related Blog Posts
Unused Barcodes: Reporting for Duty
Sep 15, 2021
Jul 07, 2021
Top 5 Tips of 2020
Dec 21, 2020
'Tis the season for a holiday policy!
Oct 28, 2020
Clean up—Managing Z39.50 servers
Sep 23, 2020
Customize your notices!
Sep 02, 2020
Reopening libraries—things to do
Jul 29, 2020
Reporting and policies—How are they related?
Jul 10, 2020
New Capstone titles?—Hooray!
Apr 29, 2020
End-of-year prep—Disable emails
Apr 01, 2020
Tools > Preferences > Sounds
These preferences are used to configure the sounds that play when specific program events occur in Alexandria. To change a sound setting, make a selection from the drop-down menu(s) located to the right of each event description. For example, if you want the smooth, mellow tone of a saxophone to play when an item is checked in, choose Saxes from the drop-down menu located to the right of the Check In event in the Librarian sounds section. If you don't want Alexandria to play any sounds at all, disable the Enable Librarian Sounds checkbox.
Clicking on the speaker icon located to the right of each drop-down menu will preview the selected sound.
These are the default sound settings for Circulation events:
- Check In. Beep sound occurs when an item is checked in.
- Check In Exception. Whistle Lo sound occurs when there are check in exceptions, such as an item title assigned to a different site.
- Check Out. Bottle sound occurs when an item is checked out.
- Circulation Exception. Alert sound occurs when there is a circulation exception, such as attempting to check out an item when there is not a patron in the circulation window.
- Circulation Fine. Whistle Trill sound occurs when a charge pops up while processing overdue, lost, and damaged items. It also occurs after entering a manual charge with the "F" command.
- Fine Exception. Ring sound occurs when there is a fine exception, such as issuing a patron refund that is more than the patron's current balance.
- Copy Alert Note. Alert sound occurs when the copy with Alert Notes is made current on the Circulation window.
- Request Placed. Tick sound occurs when a patron places a Hold (“H”), Copy Hold (“HC”), In-Stock Hold, Reserve (“J”), or Reservation (“G”).
- General Alert. Bell sound occurs when there are general alerts, such as the item is already checked out or the item was inventoried at a different location.
- Inventory. Tweek sound occurs when an item is successfully inventoried.
- Inventory Alert. Dee-Da sound occurs when you encounter an exception during inventory, such as an item out of call number range.
- New Patron. Ching sound occurs when a patron is made current on the Circulation window.
- Patron Alert. Whistle Trill sound occurs when a patron has an alert set.
- Operation Complete. Da-Dum sound occurs when an Import is finished or operations in the Operation Management window are completed.
- Serious Alert. Whistle Trill sound occurs when there are serious alerts, such as unable to check the item in or a hold was removed during the item's transit.
By default, Safari blocks sounds that automatically play. To enable sounds, go to Safari > Preferences > Websites > Auto-Play and select Allow All Auto-Play from the When visiting other websites dropdown menu.