Tip for January 14, 2019
Has an administrator or principal asked for access to Alexandria to run reports or view patron data? What if you want to give them access, but you don’t want them to mess anything up?
Easy. It’s all in Security.
Go to Patron Management and open a patron record, then look at the Security Group underneath their picture. The group to which this patron is assigned dictates what they can and cannot do in Alexandria. Most of your users will be in a Patron group that allows access to Researcher but not Librarian. Others might be student aides or librarians with various security settings.
For an example, let's create a security group that is limited to View, or read-only, access.
- Navigate to Tools > Preferences and click on Security.
- On the left are all the security groups in your system. You can modify an existing group or create a new one. At the bottom, click to add a new group.
- Give the group a name that reminds you of the kind of access it allows and/or the users to whom it should be assigned. For this example, we'll name it Read Only.
- Preset the security options to All Off, then click Add.
- Go through the settings in each tab and, when necessary, change the settings to View.
Here are a few examples for this scenario:
- Patron Reports = Reporting tab > Librarian subtab > Patron Reports > View
- Circulation Reports = Reporting tab > Librarian subtab > Circulation Reports > View
- Statistics Reports = Reporting tab > Librarian subtab > Statistics Reports > View
- Patrons = Management tab > Patrons > View
Cards expiring? Let your patrons know!
Jan 22, 2020
Automatically Open Report PDFs
Jan 15, 2020
View Hidden Items in Researcher
Jan 08, 2020
We were on a break!—Forgiving accidental fines
Dec 18, 2019
Get your items back before break!
Dec 11, 2019
Help!—Training your patrons
Dec 04, 2019
Help!—New reports documentation
Nov 19, 2019
What does it look like?—Patron Details Cover Art
Nov 11, 2019
"Elehpants?"—Spell Check for Researcher
Nov 06, 2019
Using Study Programs in Researcher
Oct 30, 2019
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!