Tip for January 14, 2019
Has an administrator or principal asked for access to Alexandria to run reports or view patron data? What if you want to give them access, but you don’t want them to mess anything up?
Easy. It’s all in Security.
Go to Patron Management and open a patron record, then look at the Security Group underneath their picture. The group to which this patron is assigned dictates what they can and cannot do in Alexandria. Most of your users will be in a Patron group that allows access to Researcher but not Librarian. Others might be student aides or librarians with various security settings.
For an example, let's create a security group that is limited to View, or read-only, access.
- Navigate to Tools > Preferences and click on Security.
- On the left are all the security groups in your system. You can modify an existing group or create a new one. At the bottom, click to add a new group.
- Give the group a name that reminds you of the kind of access it allows and/or the users to whom it should be assigned. For this example, we'll name it Read Only.
- Preset the security options to All Off, then click Add.
- Go through the settings in each tab and, when necessary, change the settings to View.
Here are a few examples for this scenario:
- Patron Reports = Reporting tab > Librarian subtab > Patron Reports > View
- Circulation Reports = Reporting tab > Librarian subtab > Circulation Reports > View
- Statistics Reports = Reporting tab > Librarian subtab > Statistics Reports > View
- Patrons = Management tab > Patrons > View
Why can't I find it?—Tips for using Search
Aug 12, 2020
It's that time!—Beginning-of-Year
Aug 05, 2020
Reopening libraries—things to do
Jul 29, 2020
Remote checkouts—all the resources
Jul 24, 2020
Reporting and policies—How are they related?
Jul 10, 2020
eBooks—All the resources
Jun 03, 2020
Help us help you!—Page ratings
May 13, 2020
Help!—Researcher training for librarians
May 06, 2020
New Capstone titles?—Hooray!
Apr 29, 2020
End-of-year prep—Back up your data
Apr 22, 2020
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?