Tip for February 25, 2019
Darla has a particular request. She has heard that Raina Telgemeier is about to release a new book, and she really wants to be the first one to check it out when your library receives it. Well, you won't play favorites, because that's unfair, but there is a way Darla can get in line early.
Sometimes vendors will send the MARC records to you before the order is shipped. When they do, you can import the records into Alexandria and assign them to the On Order system patron (barcode 5), which is used to indicate items that are in your system but are not currently available for circulation. Your patrons will be able to see the item in their search results, and they can even place a hold on it before it arrives.
Here's what you do:
- Import the MARC records into Alexandria.
- To make the records easier to find, assign them to In Processing upon import.
- v7 In the Options tab, check the box "Set New Copies as 'In Processing'."
- v6 In the Item Settings tab, check the box "Set Copy Status as 'In Processing'."
- Go to Utilities and go to the Copies category.
- v7 Select the Check Out to System Patron utility.
- v6 Select the Check Out utility.
- Open the Options tab.
- v7 Set the Check Out Selected Copies to dropdown to On Order.
- v6 Set To Patron to 5-On Order Copies.
- Select by accession date, then set the date you added the items.
- v7 Fill in the Copies Added selection. If applicable, set Copies with a Status of to In Processing.
- v6 Add a selection for Copy Accession Date.
- Run the utility. Those items will now show in Researcher as On Order (according to your Auto-Hide preferences).
- When the order arrives, simply bookdrop the items to change their status to Available, and Alexandria will let you know if there are any holds pending. If you need additional time to process the items, check them out to In Process (barcode 7) first!
Darla and your other patrons will love being able to see that these items are coming!
Reporting and policies—How are they related?
yesterday at 8:42 AM
eBooks—All the resources
Jun 03, 2020
Help us help you!—Page ratings
May 13, 2020
Help!—Researcher training for librarians
May 06, 2020
New Capstone titles?—Hooray!
Apr 29, 2020
End-of-year prep—Back up your data
Apr 22, 2020
End-of-year prep—Managing patrons
Apr 15, 2020
End-of-year prep—Item clean up
Apr 08, 2020
End-of-year prep—Disable emails
Apr 01, 2020
Mar 25, 2020
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?