Tip for: 09.28.15
Alexandria integrates with Mackin’s eBook system MackinVIA. Let’s look at setting up your Extras Preferences for MackinVIA.
Note: The following Tip applies to both version 6 and 7 of Alexandria.
To enable MackinVIA integration*:
- From Tools, open Preferences.
- Under the Management category, click on Extras.
- Select MackinVIA from the list on the left.
- Check the box to Enable MackinVIA.
- Fill in the Vendor URL (e.g. ) for your reference.
- Enter the Account ID.
- Enter the MackinVIA Code.
- Save the preference.
*Note MackinVIA is a paid add-on. Contact our Sales Team at 1-800-347-6439 to learn more.
What is the ‘Account ID'?
The Account ID is your MackinVIA account ID; if you don’t know your Account ID, please contact MackinVIA (800)-245-9540; if you don’t have one yet, you can register for one at the Mackin website: 
What is this ‘MackinVIA Code’?
The MackinVIA Code, which MackinVIA refers to as the Terminal Password, is essentially a password which you create and provide to Mackin. It allows MackinVIA to communicate with Alexandria in order to authenticate Alexandria patrons. Be sure the code is no less than seven alphanumerics (letters or numbers), without spaces, punctuation, or special characters.
MackinVIA eBooks in Researcher
When Patrons perform a search, the MackinVIA ebooks can be quickly spotted by the cover art.
After logging in to the Researcher, patrons will be able to add the ebooks to lists, write reviews, and access the ebook on MackinVIA.
MackinVIA will authenticate this patron with Alexandria to ensure they are in good standing with your library, and are allowed checkouts of this type according to Alexandria preferences and policies.
- When you choose the MackinVIA solution, you will receive MARC records for your ebooks; import those records into Alexandria, and those ebooks become available through the Alexandria Researcher just like your other resources.
- To enable the Vendor access through Circulation, and modify Mackin ebook import settings, fill out information under the Mackin area.
- Be aware that MackinVIA eBooks will import as title records, and they do not need copies.
- MackinVIA books can not be directly viewed from Alexandria. Patrons will need to sign in to MackinVIA with their personal logins in order to view and check out MackinVIA books.
- Patrons can use the MackinVIA app to manage and read their MackinVIA ebooks.
Now you are ready to use MackinVIA with Alexandria!
MackinVIA Copyright © Mackin Educational Resources
Restricted items–using patron alert notes
Sep 27, 2023
Loaned Items Notice for teachers
Sep 21, 2023
Librarian hack: schedule your overdue notices
Sep 13, 2023
Passwords: protect your data
Sep 07, 2023
Cleaning up homerooms: Authority Control
Aug 30, 2023
Password management: best practices
Aug 23, 2023
Start the school year off right!
Aug 02, 2023
Summer tip: how to print library cards
Jul 12, 2023
Tip compilation: end-of-year edition
May 17, 2023
May 10, 2023
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?