Tip for March 4, 2019
It's time to clean up the shelves. How do you identify items for the chopping block? You can use the Weeding List report to find, say, items more than 10 years old that haven't been used in the last 10 years.
Running a Weeding List
- In Reports, go to the Copies category.
- Scroll to the bottom and select the Weeding List report.
- In the following fields, enter a date range to search for items that haven't been used during that period. For example, you can search from the far past (01/01/1900) to the less-far past of maybe 10 years ago (03/03/2009).
- v7 Copies last used between and Copies published between
- v6 Copy Last Used Date and Publication Year
- Do you have items of certain policies that are never checked out? Be sure to exclude those items.
- Go to Options and choose how to sort your results. Copy Call Number is set by default.
- Run the report and download the PDF from Operations Management.
Or weed by....
Look for items that have never been checked out. Enter 0 through 0 in the following fields:
- v7 Copies with Life to Date Usage of
- v6 Copy LTD Usage
Look for items that have been checked out fewer than 10 times. Enter 0 through 10 in the following fields:
- v7 Copies with Life to Date Usage of, enter 0 through 10. In the Options tab, choose to sort by LTD usage.
- v6 Copy LTD Usage
Copies in poor condition
Enter your lowest condition, like Used, Beat Up, Dead, etc.
- v7 Copies with a Condition of
- v6 Copy Condition
How often do you weed? How do you do it? What criteria do you use? Do you have any tips for new librarians? Leave a comment!
From our librarians—Reusable book menu cards
Nov 18, 2020
Lost books? Remind your patrons about them!
Nov 11, 2020
What's due soon?—Relative dates
Nov 04, 2020
'Tis the season for a holiday policy!
Oct 28, 2020
Which MARC tag and subfield do I use?
Oct 21, 2020
Improve searching—Medium aliases
Oct 14, 2020
New Copy List—See where your copies are
Oct 07, 2020
New Item Details—Interactivity and reorganization
Sep 30, 2020
Clean up—Managing Z39.50 servers
Sep 23, 2020
Immediately check out in-stock holds
Sep 16, 2020
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?