Tip for March 11, 2019
You are adding a new patron. You start typing in their homeroom teacher, only to realize you can't remember how to spell it. "Zie" is as far as you've got. What's next? Authority Control has you covered.
There isn't a visual indication that an entry field is managed by Authority Control, but as you type...
- In version 6, type anything in the controlled field and it will pop up the list of terms.
- In version 7, type the first three letters, and if it matches a term in Authority Control, a faint shadow text will appear with the full term. Tab out of the field to accept the suggestion, or continue typing to reject it.
But what if the suggested term is spelled wrong, like Zeigler instead of Ziegler? Clean up your terms.
- From Tools, open Authority Control.
- Open the Homeroom category.
- v7 - On the left, expand the Patrons category and click Homeroom.
- v6 - Set the dropdown menu to Homeroom.
- Locate the entry for the incorrect term, Zeigler, then click Edit Term.
- Enter the corrections, then save.
- Alexandria will update all the Zeigler terms in your Homeroom fields to Ziegler. Phew!
Which fields are Authority Controlled?
Everything you see in Authority Control. Some real handy ones besides Homeroom are:
- Series. Clean up your series so books show up right!
- Titles > Genre. Make the genre selection in Search and Browse much clearer!
- Names > Authors. Modify all JRR Tolkien entries to J.R.R. Tolkien, so those books show up under the same author.
- Medium. So that your patrons don't have to wonder why there is Book and book and BOOK-unmediated and etc.
Builder: customize your search
Nov 21, 2023
Nov 13, 2023
Making search strings using advanced search
Nov 01, 2023
Popular items: creating explore panes
Oct 25, 2023
Creating a slideshow for spooky season–or any reason!
Oct 17, 2023
Notes for student aides–System Patron notes
Oct 10, 2023
Remind me with reports... for notes!
Oct 04, 2023
Restricted items–using patron alert notes
Sep 27, 2023
Loaned Items Notice for teachers
Sep 21, 2023
Librarian hack: schedule your overdue notices
Sep 13, 2023
Want more tips?
Sign up for the emails!
How helpful was this page?